Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ob-La-Dee, Ob-la-Daa

Took the family to see OBLIVION today. Enjoyed it.

Good futuristic mystery / thriller. Good action and I didn't want to leave my seat to re-fill my drink... and give some back (I needed to give some back however).


    Well, the men here enjoyed it. The ladies were very confused. I don't think this was a gender thang, I just think Trey and I are wired for this futuristic ideology. That said I think anyone who can keep up with what's going on will appreciate what the filmmakers have delivered.

   It's not that it's necessarily original, but I was thoroughly
intrigued. It sucked me in as there was obviously a lot more to this story than met the eye. Once you take in the history of what happened, to a devastated Earth after an invasion, you begin to wonder what's really going on.

   Jack and Victoria live off world nearby to help maintain the machines that's converting water into energy. This will help what's left of humanity live, which is on the Titan moon, one of Jupiter's satellites. The duo work and live together in an amazing, but basically sterile, floating domicile. Victoria stays at "home" and manages and communicates with "Mission," while Jack takes his space vehicle to maintain any issues that come up on the Earth below.


   There are "Scavs" which are not quite explained to us - in the beginning at least - that will attack certain areas on Earth, drones (who help maintain security, etc.) and this seems to be the only lot that Jack  has to deal with.

That and his dreams.


   Jack has these dreams that seem to creep in every so often. He doesn't seem to share them with Victoria, who is not only his partner in this venture, but his companion. The dreams feature another woman you see, which appear to have a romantic connotation. He seems confused by the recurring dreams, almost as if they're real. 

   All hell breaks loose when one of the water machines meets an untimely fate, and Jack and Victoria are thrown into a moment of real crisis with "Mission." An old earth satellite crashes down, and people, "live" people, are discovered within the wreckage. Not only is the Earth supposed to be uninhabited, but now it's growing in numbers - from the sky!

   There's a lot going on here, and I don't want to give anymore away. I enjoyed it. Yes, there are holes in the script, but with scenarios, especially with science fiction scenarios like this, you have to suspend some belief and go with the flow. This is one of the better of these "holey" films, but it's going to have its mixed reviews for sure. 

   I grabbed on and enjoyed the ride - thoroughly. I hope you will too. If you like a good mystery, then you'll enjoy watching this one unfold. You'll figure out some of it, and those moments are fun, but mostly it's just plop your butt down and let them take you by the hand and eat the salted corn in yer lap.

Those are my favorite. 

In honor of Roger Ebert's passing, I give this one a Thumb's Up!



No comments:

Post a Comment