Monday, June 21, 2010

The Green Room

I enjoy comedy. And when the comedy boon began in the 80's on cable and then grew across America with comedy clubs in the 90's I was in heaven. It seemed that HBO and cable was giving every other comic an hour stand up show. I think what intrigues me the most about comics is the writing and the relevant topics that they tackle. George Carlin's stand up wasn't just hilarious, but he was poignant and showed the world just how ridiculous humanity can be. Bill Mahr's Politically Incorrect (and now just the Bill Mahr Show) gives us this same kind of humor, at the same time addressing real topics. It's summer, and they always give us comedy on cable in the summer. There's a new show out now from Showtime "The Green Room with Paul Provenza" which is a round table of comedians that just has me rolling. Having people like Sandra Bernhard (met her once.. she didn't speak, to anyone she met backstage... I guess I wasn't Madonna. Insert rim shot here.), Roseanne Barr, and Bob Sagat in a recent show, man, no subject is off limits, and they feed off each other. Funny stuff. If you can see it, watch it. Not sure how long it will last but it's a lot of fun to watch them banter and build. Catch it if you can.
The Green Room at Showtime

No comments:

Post a Comment